Sunday, May 24, 2009

Camp Arrowhead

The absolute highlight of our trip to Kerrville was the opportunity to go to Hunt and visit the summer camp I attended when I was younger...Camp Arrowhead for Girls. I have such fond memories of my time there in the early 80's and have always told story after story to Maggie...I was thrilled to finally show Maggie around myself. Unfortunately, the camp visit wasn't without sadness. Camp Arrowhead is closing...due to unfortunate circumstances. The camp has been open since 1934 and will not be in session this summer. The chance to see the camp one more time was Golden...I was even willing to trespass if I had to...much to Ian and Maggie's dismay. Fortunately, we stumbled upon one of the owner's and they could see I was a harmless nutty ex-camper! We walked every inch of the property and the best part of the day...I even found my own graffiti on the walls (many times) in one of my old cabins...truly amazing that it was still there and so clear! It was also Maggie's birthday which meant she could fulfil one of the traditions I could never experience myself since my birthday was in December...kiss the deer! It sounded like a crazy request and she probably thought I had lost my mind, but my dutiful daughter did it anyway. Bless her.

No comments: