Monday, June 2, 2008

Schlitterbahn

I almost drowned...no exaggeration. The water was only 3 1/2 feet deep and I am an excellent swimmer. I'm glad it happened to me and not Maggie...because she would have drowned for sure. It was a wake-up call reminding me that I will never be ready to let her come to a park like this without me! My experience could happen to anyone.

We were at the part of the river where it divides...you have to choose to go straight or make a left to go on the rapids part. All of our group had made the left and Maggie started to panic when she thought I wouldn't make it with the rest of the group. I was fine but wanted to linger back to make sure everyone got in before I committed to the left. I didn't want to leave someone on their own. In Maggie's panic she tried to not make the turn and got stuck in the fork. As I pulled her in the right direction someone jammed into me knocking me off my tube and my body wrapped around the fork of the current. I was literally pulled underwater under everyone with my head flat against the wall upside down. I was under for a long time, tubes all crammed on top of me, all the time I could somehow hear Maggie screaming "Mommeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."
My life was literally flashing right before my eyes. I was instantly brought back to a time when I was a little girl and a similar thing happened in New Braunfels...it was a very out of body moment to say the least. I didn't want to die after the hell I went through with cancer! I couldn't pull myself up against the current. I held my breath and a stranger pulled me up just as I felt like I had no more air left. Maggie was screaming and crying. It was terrible. Hopefully, Maggie doesn't realize how bad it really was. My friends knew.

Lesson learned. I was lucky. My guardian angel has had to watch over me a bit too much lately. Maggie almost went on the trip without me and I was having a hard time letting it happen...I decided on going at the last minute. I really needed to go to school because I am teaching 3rd grade summer school starting in 2 days and have no idea what I'm doing. I'm so thankful the "over protective mom" that I am made the right choice and went along! There is a God.

No comments: